2.01.2014

Garage Door re-do:

This past Summer I used Minwax Gel Stain to create a faux wooden look on my garage door.  I meant to go over it with a sealant, but never did.  Over time it started to make a bunch of tiny cracks through the stain, and so I either needed to re-do it, or try something else.
If you're going to use the Minwax, make sure you seal it afterwards!

I ended up trying something different...

The Glidden is called TILLED SOIL, and the Martha Living is HACIENDA:

 


Basically, the Potter's Clay just gave it a very subtle texture look.  Had I known, I may have went with something a little more noticeable. 

I forgot to take pictures of the garage door when it was all crackled, but this is what it looked like when it was 1st done with the Minwax...

 


 


And now it looks like this:




I actually really like this color, I think it goes better with the brick.

Eventually, I would like to frame out the garage door with wood.
I think once I put the wooden slats up, paint it all the same color, it'll give it some nice dimension.
I would only be able to do so, because our garage is enclosed.  We converted our garage into another room a while back!

But we shall see.  I need to do a little more research to see what would adhere wood to steel...or if the wood would warp over time, etc.


~ Jenny xoxo







5 comments:

  1. what is the color that you used on your last treatment. That is the one we like the best. It seems to be the brown that would go best for our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I have never heard of Mixwax gel stain before. I'll have to look into it, it sounds pretty interesting. Our garage door could use a good stain right now, this house is so old and it constantly needing something done to keep it looking decent! I absolutely LOVE the look of that stain! It's so high-end and luxurious looking!

    Machelle Ledoux @ Total Garage Repair

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing. It gives your home a totally different look. I have always felt that way about both garage doors and front doors. A coat of paint or a different finish and it makes it look like you live in a different house. I have never gone with a dark stain but have had white, black and dark green.

    Giovanni @ Coastal Contract Hardware

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you end up using a sealer the 2nd time around? I used gel stain on my front door with 2 coats of UV polyurethane and mine started peeling too. Apparently, you use 3 coats of polyurethane and have to follow it up with a yearly coat...from my understanding anyway. How is it holding up now? Thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been researching this process as well. Many day that any oil based product will crack. They recommend water based products. I'll be trying this soon on my garage door. Worse case scenario I paint it black...lol!

    ReplyDelete